2014/02/02

Upgrading to a SSD

Whenever I get a new computer I don't go for the top of the line, I usually prefer to just get one with some nice specs and then one or two years later upgrade some of its components.

This year I realized that I have kept this one for too long :-) and that I should have bought a SSD a little while ago. So I looked up some reviews and one of the main ideas in "Tom's Hardware" talking about which one to pick is:

No matter which one, any SSD is a huge improvement over traditional disk, so I decided that I wouldn't spend too much time researching marks and models, instead I calculated how much space I would need for C: if I move the movies/music/pictures to the existing disk after formatting it as "Data", and it seems that 128Gb is all that I need.

Then I ordered the one that came out as a good option in the reviews that I had found, together with an adapter to use the 2.5" in a 3.5" slot. Fortunately I opened up the tower and as I noticed that there was no empty power connector I ordered also one, I had one SATA cable around so I didn't need that :-)

When setting up the new disk everything was quite easy, except the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, the fact is that I didn't have a free 3.5" slot so I had to just let the drive laying over an empty space, I guess that this isn't a huge problem as that little disk doesn't have a motor like the old ones.

The performance change is great, the windows evaluation for the disk states that it gets a 7.4 despite the fact that so far I haven't been able to enable the AHCPI that it's supposed to provide even greater performance.

Windows starts up faster, programs load faster, Visual Studio works much faster, but I still keep typing as slow as always :-D

If you still have an old disk go ahead and get a SSD, it's certainly worth it, but you can skip the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

No comments: